Monday, June 25, 2012

Pittsburgh, NH, My Great Accomplishment

Had a wonderful Father's Day weekend with my husband, son and father-in-law.  We went to Pittsburgh, NH, close to the Canadian border.  It was beautiful there, we had gotten a cabin for the weekend and it was very private, we had 3 bedrooms, a large kitchen, dining room, living room, 2 decks one with a table overlooking the river and had a grill and the other was a deck looking out to the pond in front of the house, and 2 bathrooms, it was definitely living.

We relaxed most of the time, except for Saturday late afternoon I dragged my husband out of bed to see the sights, I wanted to go to the town and look in antique shops but we ended up at the 4th Connecticut Lake trail which zig zags along the Canadian and U.S. borders.  So we started the trail and it was not for beginners (I have not done trails in a while), I found it to be very hard, it was about 1/4 mile of climbing steep rocky hills, I was ready to quit in the middle of it but kept pressing on to see this fabulous secluded lake, and crossing into Canada on foot wasn't bad either (no passports necessary) which was pretty cool.  We finally made it after sweating and catching our breaths.
It was just a small pond but it didn't matter, I made it through the trail and was so proud of myself, but then we had to walk back.  My knee was hurting, I had a cramp in my other leg and I was exhausted and getting eatin alive by bugs but we were going down most of the time which was better than up.  Through the pain, tears, and exhaustion, I made it back to the car, yay!!!  A 2 hour walk definitely worked off the butter I had with my lobster (which is not allowed on the diet).

I couldn't believe I survived the experience but being on the diet made me feel more energized to do this and more determined to get places.  I have always enjoyed hiking in the past but since my weight gain I haven't really felt up to it, it was so nice to get back in touch with nature again and to have the energy to do so.

Tip:  Eating better can only help you to enjoy the activities you once loved, so hang in there!!


No comments:

Post a Comment